Please Dont Let Lucavian Read This

General Information. Open to the Public.
Lucavian

Re: Please Dont Let Lucavian Read This

Post by Lucavian »

Dont forget the DOT component to SoV... I havent tested it with ret as of yet because blood is still in the game, but that DOT component will almost always be running and adding in some way possibly making up the difference for the rest of it..

They have been saying forever that they wanted to make Paladin DPS less bursty and more steady and this looks like a step in that direction.
The changes to ret not only gutted our PvE dps but also our utility as a whole.

Divine Sacrifice = 150% health transferred max now even while bubbled (effectively giving you a 5 min CD on this ability cause you can't use it without a bubble or you instantly die, I've tried it with 50% shield even). So this means even -if- a ret somehow got 30k buffed health this would transfer 45k damage from the other players, so even if only 15 out of the 24 other players are nearby that's only 3k damage prevented and it's instantly removed. Originally this was listed as a bug in 3.1 and quickly fixed, now it's working as intended.

Judgement of Wisdom will be used by holy paladins now with their 30 second judgement potential and Judgement of Light restores a steady 2% max health so that will most likely be used by protection paladins especially if they grab up divinity for 2% * 1.05 * 1.05 double dipping mechanism that only seems to work on JoL for oneself.

We can also no longer reach Divine Guardian so instead of our sacred shield absorbing 600 + 90% of our SP for 1 minute, it will now absorb 500 + 75% of SP for 30 seconds, making it extremely difficult for us to keep on a tank and not even as worthwhile. Also they've modified Sacred Shield to no longer stack on a target.

Protection paladins typically go deep into ret and will likely be picking up vindication the only new 'buff' we received (and by buff I'm comparing it to the gimp -10% stats except stm/int version of vindication).

Also they nerfed the replenishment brought by the class (as well as all the others mind you) but this further lowers the usefulness of a ret paladin.

Crusader striking more often isn't a good thing, because for one they made it so we do the same damage from Crusader Strike as we did when it was on a 6 second CD, so it's not like more often = more damage. It is however a nerf because more often = more GCD's used to do the same damage, which has a secondary effect. We either give up a Crusader Strike or we give up another ability due to conflicts. So the actual effective CD for CS is now 4.5 seconds cause if we use it faster than that we gimp our dps because of conflicting abilities. Which means less damage based on a 4 second CD and using it on a 4.5 second effective CD = a net loss of dps from Crusader Strike (though this is a net loss less than if we did use it on 4 seconds and didn't use say DS in it's place).

Ret's unique Art of War instant flash of light ability has become a dps proc now so we can no longer afford to use our instant flash of light casts unless we use it quickly after we've used an AoW proc on exorcism. Otherwise we risk not having AoW up when exorcism becomes available.

Righteous Vengeance also takes a hit since it procs from Crusader Strike crits, we swing .5 seconds less than the damage was normalized for and because of that we'll crit less which means the Righteous Vengeance will be up from CS less so we get another loss there.

Tier 9, 4 piece bonus is also a joke. We get +5% chance to crit to an ability that already has a baseline chance to crit of +26% chance from talents alone. Not to mention that in 3.1 they nerfed a talent to remove +7% chance to crit with judgement...only to give it back to us as a tier 9 4 piece bonus with the talent is 8 tiers down in the tree.

All in all retribution paladins got the shaft, but the other two specs did get quite a boost overall. I full intend to become full time Holy with the current set up for retribution on the ptr. I believe they're quite finished with the changes other than minor bug fixes I fully expect this to be installed Live this Tuesday 08/04/09.
Lazixoye

Re: Please Dont Let Lucavian Read This

Post by Lazixoye »

Lucavian wrote:
All in all retribution paladins got the shaft, but the other two specs did get quite a boost overall. I full intend to become full time Holy with the current set up for retribution on the ptr. I believe they're quite finished with the changes other than minor bug fixes I fully expect this to be installed Live this Tuesday 08/04/09.
Agreed. This is why I have been leveling a horde priest. Going to take a break from my pally for awhile.