PTR 3.3.5 Patch Notes

General Information. Open to the Public.
Zodan

PTR 3.3.5 Patch Notes

Post by Zodan »

World of Warcraft PTR Patch 3.3.5

The latest patch notes can always be found at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/

The latest test realm patch notes can always be found at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patch...atchnotes.html

General

* The Ruby Sanctum, an all-new 10- and 25-player raid featuring normal and Heroic difficulties, is now available for testing! Players will find the dungeon entrance below Wyrmrest Temple in Dragonblight.
* Copied Test Realm characters are not copied with their achievement history in order to better facilitate the character copy process.

User Interface
Chat Frame

* Players can now right-click on any chat type (Whisper, Trade, General, Party, Raid, etc.) and choose the Pop Out Chat option. This will move that chat type to a separate tab in the Chat frame which can be undocked and moved anywhere on the screen.
* Using the Pop Out Chat option on a Whisper will place the conversation with that player in a separate tab.
* Any time a conversation with another player is put into its own tab, the tab will glow when a new message is received.
* Hovering over the Chat Frame and using the mouse wheel will allow players to scroll through chat text.
* Players can select Classic Mode under Interface Options to keep the Chat Frame functionality closer to what it was prior to patch 3.3.5.
* The Simple Chat User Interface option has been removed.

Friends List

* A new icon has been added to the top left of the Chat Frame which will open up the Friends list.
* In addition to its current functionality, the Friends List will now allow players to add Battle.net accounts (Real ID). Players will have to confirm that they are friends in order for a Real ID to be added. Once Real ID friends, players can communicate cross-game, cross-faction and cross-realm.
* A new Pending tab has been added where players can accept or decline a Real ID friend request, or select the Report Spam or Block Communications buttons.
* Players can now select from three statuses which will be visible to their friends: Available, Away and Busy.
* A Broadcast window has been added to the top of the frame. Players can use this to broadcast a message to all of their Real ID friends online. This message will also be displayed under the broadcaster’s Real ID information in each friend’s list.

For additional notes on Lua and XML changes please visit the UI & Macros Forum: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...;forumId=11114
Zodan

Re: PTR 3.3.5 Patch Notes

Post by Zodan »

This Real ID thing sounds incredibly stupid. Why would they want you to give out your login (bnet account) out there when we are drowning in hackers already?

Now an account gets hacked, and the hackers have the account name of everyone who has 'Real ID' set up with that person. What about phishing attempts with Real ID spam?

This is a bad idea. There needs to be another layer between your actually battle.net login and what you use publicly to friend folks.
Benediction

Post by Benediction »

Why would you be giving your real id to anyone but friends anyway?

That's the point of it, you can still put people in games on your friends list without the RealID; the RealID just lets you put real friends you know in your RealID friends list that will be shared across any Battle.net enabled game; i.e. all of blizzards game.

No one but the people on your RealID friend list would ever see your b.net account e-mail and they should be people you trust.

Besides; the actual email/account name of an account to a hacker would be the very least effort thing to figure out. I'm sure there are a plethora of ways they can get that. It's the password/authenticator that's gonna give them pause.

EDIT: Having said that I think it's cool. I mean, XBox Live and Steam have shown that it's cool to be able to chat with your friends and see if they're online wherever regardless of what game you're playing. It makes playing games with other folks a lot easier and it's more fun to be able to talk with people anytime. And for both of those systems the friend names are typically the login name (except you can change your handle in Steam without changing your account name...) and hacking really hasn't been an issue.

Anyway it was one of the features I was really looking forward too with the bnet integration into WoW. The biggest feature I want and they've hinted out but not outright said, is account based achievements instead of character based. That will be glorious, assuming it happens.
Last edited by Benediction on Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zodan

Post by Zodan »

That's all true but it sure seems counter-intuitive with the problems they already have.
Benediction

Post by Benediction »

I'm sure they realize the problems but I think they're actively seeking a more open friendly platform like Live or Steam like I said in my EDIT.

What they really need to do is pack in authenticators with every copy of bnet enabled games they sell. I'm sure they cost them virtually nothing; at the very least it would cost them less to do that than it would to have to have a whole staff on hand to handle hacked accounts.
Zodan

Post by Zodan »

Oh yea the feature is awesome.

And yes, I don't know why they just don't ship out authenticators. It's got to be cheaper in the long run, as well as easier on the staff. I'd kill myself if I were account administration restoration duty.
Benediction

Post by Benediction »

Also also it'd be awesome if they released a chat client or at least a chat thing you can use via their website or facebook or something.

Sometimes I want to check if someone is online in WoW or whatever but don't feel like logging in. For both Steam and Live I can check my contacts and send them messages without actually having to turn on my 360 or whatever.
Zodan

Post by Zodan »

Didn't AO have that?
Benediction

Post by Benediction »

Yeah you could use their IRC client to access the in-game chat.

It was glorious and amazingly dumb no other game has done that.

EDIT: Actually I think you could use any IRC client; but they had one embedded into their site.
djinux

Post by djinux »

BitchX ftw