DK changes

General Information. Open to the Public.
Riksk

DK changes

Post by Riksk »

Heck with you all!!!!!!!! Even blizz say's DK's r hard.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/und ... night.html

"it’s fair to say that the class requires a good amount of skill to play really well."
"We’ve asked ourselves several times if the death knight is overly complicated"

Sadly, what else is said in that interview doesn't sound good. Looks like we're getting hammered.
djinux

Re: DK changes

Post by djinux »

I dont raid with mine but I am fimilar with them and to me they dont seem all that hard to play..

Please correct me where I am wrong as I would love to learn but here is what I think

1. You hit IT and PS to get your diseases going.
2. Next you try to activate your Death Runes
3. Then you use whatever you big attack is, HB, HS, or SS
4. By now you have some runic power to dump so you either use the flies, DC, or FS
5. Depending on if u need it or have the runes for it you can drop DnD anytime...
6. Refresh your diseases as you can/have to, which really isnt that big of a deal for some specs. I think Unholy and Frost keep their respective disease up with SS or HB.

I know i omitted Obliterate i just dont ever see the time to use it in BLood and as Frost I am tanking so i need to use HB as much as I can to keep AOE threat going.

I mean it does seem to me that yeah there is quite a bit going on with the class but other classes have more than two buttons to push too...

I consider myself partially non retarded while playing both Enhancement and Ret and to me the DK doesnt seem to be immensely complicated by comparison but then again I dont play one at the level you do Rik so any comments you have for me would be welcomed.
Aona

Post by Aona »

Blood: Disease, Disease, Death Strike, Death Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike

:p
Aona - Marksman Hunter
Axeal - Purdy DK tnak
Kymia - Protection Warrior and foot rest for the tall ones
djinux

Post by djinux »

Aona wrote:Blood: Disease, Disease, Death Strike, Death Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike, Heart Strike

:p
That was kind of the impression I got of blood...
Excellion

Post by Excellion »

Wait.

You mean to tell me this isn't Hello Kitty Island Adventures?
I'm not supposed to be spamming Kitty Swipe? WTH.

On a side note, what is the point in saying DK's are to OP for tanking hard modes, and then turn around and give prot paladins a Cheat Death?
Excellion || Dropzone

The Death Knight formerly known as Sikyo...
Riksk

Post by Riksk »

/sigh
Why do I keep trying with you people? Read the article and see if you can't figure out the complexities yourself. There are reasons there are hordes of DKs on the server and most of them suck pretty bad.

A few simple reasons are the narrowly timed rotations, and the extreme reliance on cool downs. On top of that effective management of multiple mana pools, and an opportunistic pet. A DK is closer to a twitch based play style than you think. Timing and deducing the perfect moment in any given fight is always the most crucial aspect.

Furthermore, if you actually understand the class mechanics, you find that it is one of the deepest classes in the game. Involving dramatically different play styles based on chosen spec, armorment, and soon weaponry. There are more ways to play a DK effectively than any other class in the game! Simply learning a spec and a rotation off the internet does nothing for understanding the class if you can not deduce that rotation for yourself.

The most disturbing thing in that article is the hint that they are even pondering simplifying the class. The depth of the mechanics are what keeps it interesting.

Rik

EDIT- of course, that's only if you actually want to be excellent.
djinux

Post by djinux »

Where this comes from.. I have a level 80 DK that granted I havent raided with but I have lead plenty of successful 5 Man groups as a tank and done alright for myself doing DPS in them as well. So where it is coming from is that since I have done all of that and been met with some success what differentiates that type of success playing with those of you that play the class at a higher level.

I know that I need to keep my diseases up and spread as best I can. I know that if I am sitting there with full runic power I should have been dumping it somehow during the encounter and do try to not run around with a full bar in that respect. But yeah I have a couple abilities I keep my eye on as my top priorities. in Blood It is Death Strike and Heart Strike. Activating my death runes as best I can and plowing away with heart strike. Tanking I keep my eye on Howling Blast and Death and Decay along with Pest as my priority abilities using Frost Strike as I have RP for it. Then the obvious Icebound Fort... just like any other O S#!% Button, Shield Wall pretty much...

I know I am not pro with the class but I know more than a complete nub too. So what sets you apart from me in what I know vs what you know? Thats the question...
Excellion

Post by Excellion »

djinux wrote: I know I am not pro with the class but I know more than a complete nub too.
I'm sorry, but the way that you described how you DPS, makes that statement seem very invalid.
Excellion || Dropzone

The Death Knight formerly known as Sikyo...
djinux

Post by djinux »

Well as I said with the level of content I have palyed I did alright I admitted to not being pro, but what I was really digging for is a bit of light to shed on exactly how involved the class is and what you need to think about to get better.
Erandus

Post by Erandus »

Riksk wrote: The depth of the mechanics are what keeps it interesting.
this is why I still love warrior tanks.