How to Flush DNS

General Information. Open to the Public.
Ascaron

How to Flush DNS

Post by Ascaron »

Pull up a command prompt (via start menu - run - type [cmd] )

at the command prompt type the following commande:

"msconfig /flushdns"
Bahnek

Re: How to Flush DNS

Post by Bahnek »

What exactly does that do :?:
Ascaron

Post by Ascaron »

O Hai!

Some people were having problems logging in last night and sometimes its DNS issues.

DNS stands for Dynamic Name Service(more recently called Domain Name System). The internet has these huge banks of servers that are DNS servers. When you type in www.cnn.com your computer essentially hits against your ISP who then forwards that request to a DNS server and gets the actual internet address (something like 127.15.0.4) and then your computer proceeds on to the address.

Well, in the past , blizzard has had some issues where there servers will get pushed to a new address and if your computer is holding onto the old address then you will have problems connecting. Your computer will cache the address so that the next time you look up a site it can skip that look up process.

The command msconfig by itself will display your computers IP address and some other vital info if you are into the networking aspects. Add the /flushdns command line modifier and it will force that cache of addresses to be wiped and it will get the new and correct address for the server.

This however did NOT fix people's problems last night as it was not a DNS issue.
Bahnek

Post by Bahnek »

Thanks for the info!!!
demonition

Post by demonition »

msconfig does nothing for me other than say "msconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"...

however, if I used "ipconfig" I could then go C:\>ipconfig /flushdns and that seems to work for me... :geek: