Initial Impressions Windows 7

General Information. Open to the Public.
djinux

Initial Impressions Windows 7

Post by djinux »

So the hardware somewhere inside my Macbook Pro decided it wanted to die over the course of the weekend so I have a temporary computer at work and I put Windows 7 on it.

Out of the gate I can say that some of what annoyed me about Vista still bothers me but I think they have done a much nicer job this time around. I find it sort of counter intuitive because I am a mac guy but I suppose anyone that likes windows would probably really enjoy 7. It has a number of cool features especially where managing multiple windows is concerned.

The stacking and pinning of applications to the start menu is a lot handier than it has been in the past.
The snapping feature that auto-resizes windows is pretty cool IE drag a window to the left side of the screen far enough and it just pops it about half a screen worth of real estate.

I did manage to run around on a level 1 alt in wow even using 7s beta.

All in all it is much better than vista and I would strongly suggest to anyone that has vista to get 7 when it comes out...
Bahnek

Re: Initial Impressions Windows 7

Post by Bahnek »

Windows 7 = Vista the way it should have been. At least thats what I've been hearing.
Bridelm

Post by Bridelm »

Bahnek wrote:Windows 7 = Vista the way it should have been. At least thats what I've been hearing.
Kinda like Windows 98 was what Windows 95 should have been?
djinux

Post by djinux »

Nah Bridelm more like how XP was what Milenium should have been.... 98 was a crashy buggy mess in my experience... I was SO excited when I got 2000 Pro...
Bridelm

Post by Bridelm »

Seriously if you're comparing Millennium to Vista you're way off. Vista is fine just not as intuitive as Microsoft wanted. Millennium was just crap, I never seen one PC that worked for more then a month with it installed.

Better yet just go back to your Mac :P
Aona

Post by Aona »

I miss my mac.

But anyways, thanks Valisha for the post. I am looking to upgrade my computer since my mac died and am delaying my build until Windows 7 comes out. I'm also thinking of going 64-bit so if anyone knows how well WoW runs on 64-bit, that'd be nice to hear.

Just for the record - Windows 7 was actually in development before Vista. Due to Windows XP major security issues that caused many frequent patches to be pushed, it was stalled and Vista was put out as a minor, fast and under-developed upgrade. That just goes to show you can't rush good software.
See the development section here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7
Aona - Marksman Hunter
Axeal - Purdy DK tnak
Kymia - Protection Warrior and foot rest for the tall ones
Gorwyn

Post by Gorwyn »

Aona,

I run WOW under Vista 64 no problem. My advice would be to avoid installing WOW in the Programs Folder as the security can be problematic if you want to dink with some of the files.

- Gor
- Bad decisions make for good stories!

Sqeeks

Post by Sqeeks »

The secret password to make anything work in Vista is "Run As Administrator."
There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.
djinux

Post by djinux »

After a few days with 7 I can say this. I hate windows for my professional life. The kind of work I do mainly being with routers and other network gear I have much more use for a Unix based workstation at work and it just so happens a mac is a very handy Unix box. Yes I am a Unix nerd and I am a racist against windows for doing anything serious relating to my job.

Perception for a Home PC. If not for why I don't like it at work I honestly don't think it would make much actual difference for my personal home computing experience being a windows 7 system or a Mac. I have had little to no stability problems even with an eval build 7100 I would say that windows 7 has taken my next PC hardware purchase from being 100% certainly a Mac to at least a 50 50 proposition that I may choose a Windows system. I can't really afford a Mac Pro and they just don't have the ability to upgrade your hardware as needed one component at a time on any of their other products like a PC would.

So yeah I would say that all in all I think they have done a nice job with Windows 7 and anyone on the fence about it should not hesitate to buy themselves a copy of it the day it is available you WILL like it better than Vista I can almost guarantee you that.

One thing I did find strange is that even though I have 7 Ultimate they seem to want to push you towards using Windows Live software and as such they don't ship a default email program or photo manager, but I think u can still get those from Windows Live. I dunno maybe this is a good new paradigm I just need to wrap my head around.
djinux

Post by djinux »

Oh ok yeah so since the last time I even considered buying a PC I was so hell bent on getting a Mac that I didn't bother to really keep up with PC makers.

Are any of them any better than the other these days? I can get an Employee Discount on some Dell systems and we use Dell exclusively at work for those of us not lucky enough to have macs are they as good as anything or is building your own still the way to go just like it was when I built my AMD Athlon XP 2100+ based system??