Favorite Board Style poll!

General Information. Open to the Public.

What is your favorite board style?

Pbwow - aka Cataclysm
73%
Wotlk
No votes
Crusade
18%
Other - bring back b.net/diablo/etc...
9%

Total votes: 11

Ober

Favorite Board Style poll!

Post by Ober »

To change your board style click options from your login profile or click the red message counter at the top of the index forum. Select Board preferences > My board style.

Curious how many are aware of the new styles and which is favored the most. Appreciate the votes!

Ober
Aona

Re: Favorite Board Style poll!

Post by Aona »

Prosilver ftw :)

Sorry, but the other themes just don't show new posts very well and are more of a headache when seeing everything "at a glance". I understand the desire to have something wow-themed; just can't beat the usability of prosilver.
Aona - Marksman Hunter
Axeal - Purdy DK tnak
Kymia - Protection Warrior and foot rest for the tall ones
Ober

Post by Ober »

lol, thanks for the honesty. I may add a prosilver moded theme someday :P ... Have you tried a new style recently with the auto expand feature for new posts?
Bahnek

Post by Bahnek »

I like the Cataclysm colors :D
Vlaudd

Post by Vlaudd »

I agree with Bahnek. I like the Cataclysm colors. I also liked the Crusade as well.
Benediction

Post by Benediction »

I'm curious if there's been any more discussion on this?

The forums aren't too active really, but the layout of this forum style is horrible. Everything is disjointed and there's like a dozen different forums that doesn't seem to have a purpose.

I know it's modeled after the official WoW ones but that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Is there any hope of just doing a straight up PHPBB or something simple or similar? You could thrown on a WoW related skin, lord knows there's enough of them out there.

Then the forums could be pared down to the bare necessities. Like one chat, one raid, one officer and that's about all ya need. Well, like a recruitment forum etc and other minor ones like PvP.

I know when I registered I was pretty confused as to where anything was. It was a long time before I figured out that "the round table" waaaaaaaaay down at the bottom under a pile of other forums that have no activity was the "member forum".

Just my 2c
Ober

Post by Ober »

Benediction wrote:I'm curious if there's been any more discussion on this?

The forums aren't too active really, but the layout of this forum style is horrible. Everything is disjointed and there's like a dozen different forums that doesn't seem to have a purpose.

I know it's modeled after the official WoW ones but that isn't necessarily a good thing.

Is there any hope of just doing a straight up PHPBB or something simple or similar? You could thrown on a WoW related skin, lord knows there's enough of them out there.

Then the forums could be pared down to the bare necessities. Like one chat, one raid, one officer and that's about all ya need. Well, like a recruitment forum etc and other minor ones like PvP.

I know when I registered I was pretty confused as to where anything was. It was a long time before I figured out that "the round table" waaaaaaaaay down at the bottom under a pile of other forums that have no activity was the "member forum".

Just my 2c

Sorry to hear you dislike the forum style so much. What exactly is disjointed about the wow theme? Could be do to the browser you are using; only tested IE7+ and Firefox. As for additional forums, yeah I could remove Diablo 3, Blizzcon and Starcraft or merge them into Other game discussion but have a feeling they will see a lot of use once the games are released. Trading outpost and Profession discussion could be merged, these were from our previous forums. Don't see eliminating much else as they are frequently used.

I do plan on uploading a modified prosilver template, however I have yet to encounter one that I like enough to do so.
Aona

Post by Aona »

Ben, you can go into your preferences and set it to prosilver. It works fine. The only issue I've had is people changing their font color to something really bright which doesn't show up well (highlighting text ftw).
Aona - Marksman Hunter
Axeal - Purdy DK tnak
Kymia - Protection Warrior and foot rest for the tall ones
Benediction

Post by Benediction »

Prosilver is a lot "cleaner", thanks, I didn't see that option before in there.

Anyway Ober, I'm not really sure how to explain what I'm saying very well. I haven't taken a web design class since I was a programmer in the military so I'm not "down" with the rules for web design these days.

I'm just a fan of really streamlined forum interfaces like you see in default phpBB forums and the like. Themed skins are fine but, the one used as default here, for example, breaks up all the forums into odd categories, display wise. When I look at them in Prosilver it makes perfect sense and it doesn't seem like there are too many unnecessary forums; though as you said some could be cleaned up; like the SC2/D3 forums could just be removed entirely and any discussion on them could simply be sticky threads or something in the general chat forum, same with the progression forum; could just be a thread. It's just, when you look at the forums with the default skin on, it has a handful of forums at the top, which I guess are the public forums? Then it splits different sections vertically on the page, only to have the subforums displayed horizontally 3 across then they start a new line, and it just gets really cluttered visually. The non-public chat forum being very last on the list wasn't expected either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say "do as I say", just providing some criticism is all. :P

The forums aren't super active so it's not like it makes a huge difference, I'm just throwing a few things out there. If ya'll are happy with it, by all means don't let my griping get ya down. Looking at it in Prosilver makes it a lot easier on my brain, so I'll deal. :lol: